A top coat of plaster applied to walls or ceilings to cover imperfections providing a flat, smooth finish and a surface ready for decorating. This perfect finish helps you to create a high quality, modern look, perfect if you plan to paint directly onto your walls without wall papering first. Skimming is appropriate if...

  • You want to cover up Artex; 

  • Your walls have suffered wear and tear over the years leaving them needing a revamp;

  • You have removed wall paper or tiles and removed some of the original plaster or uncovered damaged plaster underneath;

  • A skim coat is also used to finish a wall or ceiling when it has already been prepared using the techniques listed below.

An undercoat is used as a first layer for plastering. It is applied directly to brickwork and once it has been trowelled to a level finish, it is scratched with a nail to provide a “key” for the finishing Skim Coat (see Skimming) to be applied. 
While a Skim Coat is used to cover imperfections on the wall, completely square edges and plumb lines will only be achievable if the wall underneath is relatively square and plumb itself. If this is not the case it may be recommended to apply an undercoat first. Undercoat is appropriate if…

  • Your walls have been chased in order to repair or add new electrical or plumbing work

  • Your wall is badly damaged and has been or needs to be brought back to brickwork in large areas or small patches

  • Your original walls are uneven without square or plumb edges and lines

  • Your wall is new and constructed with brick or block


Plasterboard is essentially gypsum plaster compressed and covered, front and back, with sheets of very strong paper. Plasterboard is used for a variety of plastering needs and could be used if…

  • You want to create a room divide or a non-loadbearing
    internal wall.

  • You have new brickwork or breezeblock walls that need finishing (often appropriate for extensions).

  • You have large patches of walls or ceilings that need repairing.

  • You have a ceiling that needs replacing.

  • You have walls or ceilings to be over boarded.


Render is used to cover external walls. It is a mix of sand and cement applied to the wall. It acts as a waterproof layer to your outside walls.  


Properties may need re-plastering for a variety of reasons. There may be cracks or holes in your walls or ceilings, as a result of wear and tear. Maybe you have removed wall paper or tiles and have uncovered damaged walls underneath. Perhaps you have some Artex (textured finish commonly used in the 70s) that you want to get rid of. Your property may have been damaged as a result of damp or more extensively as a result of flood or fire. Perhaps you are undertaking modernisation of your property, refurbishment work, creating a new room or building a whole new property? 


Plastering can take many different forms and the service you need will depend on the issue you have. Take a look below to see what plastering services we provide as solutions.

How can we help?